Monday 2 February 2009

A London cabbie puts the City to rights

I bust the credit crunch earlier by getting a cab in to work (bad) but had an interesting chat with the Cockney geezer driver. It went something like this:

“It’s OK if Barclay’s CEO does OK and is minted since he provides loads of jobs and starts up loads of businesses round the world, innit.

“And all the people in the City – they are all getting into sh*t, told they’re greedy. Well, innit a capitalist world? And they help the world go round and, well… they’re just doing their job – innit.

“Oh, and by the way I think that Corus, the massive steel maker, is jumping on the bandwagon, they have been going for 30 years and they could have seen this coming ten years ago but only now they lay off 4000 people. What’s going on? Are they blind? Are they threatened by Mittel, the biggest steel maker? Maybe Corus want to be bought by Mittel, so they think - strip the assets, fire the people and it’s a cheap buy - innit.

“I remember when I got my first mortgage and it was 17% interest and I put away ten grand in a granny bond – lovely jubbly, bob’s your uncle.

Innit?”

Robert Peston – reassess your speed dial!

Heather

2 comments:

  1. Good to see the snow didn't slow the spin but I hope everyone managed to get home safely.

    The Guardian estimates the artic weather will cost the country £1bn.

    Days like these make remote working so valuable!

    (Do I win a prize for being the first to comment?)

    ReplyDelete